- Introduction: Why do you need a CRA business number?
- What is a CRA business number?
- How do I get a CRA business number?
- What are the benefits of having a CRA business number?
- How do I use my CRA business number?
- What happens if I don’t have a CRA business number?
- FAQs about CRA business numbers
- How to contact the CRA about your business number
- Tips for using your CRA business number
You may need a CRA business number for a variety of reasons, such as opening a business bank account or filing your taxes. Here’s how to find your CRA business number.
Checkout this video:
Introduction: Why do you need a CRA business number?
If you are thinking of starting a business in Canada, you will need to register for a CRA business number. This number is used by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to track your business income and expenses. It is also used to track your GST/HST returns and payroll deductions.
What is a CRA business number?
A Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) business number is a unique nine-digit identifier that you use when dealing with the CRA. It consists of your business number and your CRA program account number. The business number is assigned to your business when you register with the CRA.
If you register your business with the CRA, you will be issued a business number. This nine-digit identifier is used by businesses to identify themselves when dealing with the CRA and other government departments and agencies. The business number consists of your CRA program account number and your business number.
How do I get a CRA business number?
There are a few ways that you can get a CRA business number:
-You can apply for one online through the CRA website
-You can call the CRA directly and apply for a business number over the phone
-You can visit a CRA office in person and apply for a business number in person
If you are applying for a business number online or over the phone, you will need to have some basic information ready, such as your name, address, and the type of business that you are operating. The CRA representative will be able to help you fill out the rest of the application.
If you are applying for a business number in person at a CRA office, you will need to bring along your business registration documents. The CRA representative will be able to help you fill out the rest of the application.
What are the benefits of having a CRA business number?
There are many benefits of having a CRA business number, including:
-Easier to keep track of your business expenses
-Helps you stay organized
-Allows you to register for various government programs
-Saves you time and money
How do I use my CRA business number?
You can use your CRA business number for different business and program accounts. For example, you will need it to:
-get a GST/HST account
-file income taxes
-set up payroll deductions
-apply for Canada Pension Plan, Employment Insurance, and Workers’ Compensation programs
If you are a sole proprietor without employees, you only need one business number for all of your business activities.
What happens if I don’t have a CRA business number?
If you don’t have a CRA business number, you may be charged GST/HST on purchases you make for your business. You may also miss out on certain government programs and benefits that require a business number.
FAQs about CRA business numbers
CRA business numbers are issued by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and are used to identify businesses for tax purposes. You may need a business number if you want to register for certain federal and provincial taxes, including the GST/HST.
To get a CRA business number, you can:
– apply online
– call the CRA Business Window at 1-800-959-5525
– complete and mail in Form RC1, “Request for a Canada Revenue Agency Business Number,” which you can get from the CRA website
How to contact the CRA about your business number
The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is responsible for issuing business numbers and associated program accounts. If you have questions about your business number or need help signing up for a CRA program account, you can contact the CRA by phone, mail, or online.
To find the CRA business number issued to your business, you can:
-look up your business in the CRA Business Register;
-view a list of businesses in the CRA Business Register; or
-search for a specific business number in the CRA Business Register.
Tips for using your CRA business number
Your CRA business number is your company’s unique identifier. It’s used whenever you communicate with the CRA, and it appears on all of your business documents.
If you’re a new business, you can apply for your CRA business number by completing the Application for a Canada Revenue Agency Business Number (BN) [PDF – 568KB].
If you already have a CRA business number and you’re not sure where to find it, here are some tips:
– Check the top right-hand corner of any correspondence you’ve received from the CRA. Your CRA business number will be printed there.
– Look for it on your GST/HST return. It should be printed near the top of page 1.
– Check any T4/T5 slips issued in your company’s name. The CRA business number will be printed in the upper left-hand corner.
– If you still can’t find your CRA business number, give us a call at 1-800-959-5525. We’ll be happy to help you out.
If you are a business owner in Canada, you may be wondering how to find your CRA business number. The CRA (Canadian Revenue Agency) is the government agency responsible for collecting taxes and administering various government programs. Your CRA business number is your unique identifier within the CRA system.
There are a few ways that you can find your CRA business number:
– Look on any correspondence that you have received from the CRA. This could include tax returns, benefit payments, or other communications.
– Call the CRA customer service line at 1-800-959-5525 and ask for your business number.
– Log in to your online account with the CRA (if you have one). Your business number will be listed in your account profile.
Once you have located your CRA business number, be sure to keep it in a safe place where you can easily find it when you need it.